The City of Highland is considering adopting a Business District Plan for the proposed Amended Highland Business District A (pursuant to the Business District Development and Redevelopment Law constituting Section 65 ILCS 5/11-74.3-1, et seq., as amended).
This notice also includes the following information:
- A public hearing will be held at 6:00 p.m. on November 2, 2022, at the Highland City Hall, 1115 Broadway, Highland, Illinois 62249-0218.
- In order to implement the activities covered by the Highland Business District A, the Business District Plan must be adopted.
- The general geographical boundary of the Highland Business District A is proposed to be amended to include the following: The proposed Business District encompasses 34 parcels of property and rights-of-way in the City. Generally, the Amended Area encompasses properties on the north side of the Existing Area along IL-143, properties in the central portion of the Existing Area along US-40 and Nagel Drive, and properties south of US-40 and north of West Monroe Street in the southern portion of the Existing Area. Additionally property adjacent to Frank Watson Parkway, both north and south of Sportsman Road, is included in the Amended Area.
- The Amended Highland Business District A Plan provides for public investment and private investment in public infrastructure and other statutory eligible activities. The City may impose a tax of up to 1% within the Area pursuant to the Business District Development and Redevelopment Law. A copy of the Business District Plan, which includes a boundary map of the Business District, is available for public inspection at the City Clerk’s office located at 1115 Broadway, Highland, Illinois 62249-0218.
- Within the District a rate of tax of 1.0% shall be imposed as a retailer’s occupation tax and service occupation tax pursuant to Subsection (10) and (11) of Section 11-74.3-3 of the Act. Such tax shall be imposed for up to, but no more than, 23 years from the date of the initial imposition of the tax.
- Any person is invited to submit alternate proposals or bids for any proposed conveyance, lease, mortgage, or other disposition by the municipality of land or rights in land owned by the municipality and located within the proposed business district.
- All interested persons will be given an opportunity to be heard at the public hearing.
We are interested in any comments you may have regarding this proposed plan.
Kevin B Hemann, Mayor