Sewer Backup


How to deal with a sewer backup

When the sewer backup requires immediate action the Water & Sewer Department representatives are available to help resident determine the problem. Below are a few tips to help you deal with a sewer backup.

Always call the Department of Public Works at 618-654-9891 prior to calling a plumber when you experience a sanitary sewer backup, or when the problem seems to be caused from outside your home. A Water & Sewer Department representative will be dispatched to check the main sanitary sewer line at no cost to you.

If the blockage is located in the main sewer line, Department of Public Works will remedy the problem as quickly as possible.

If the blockage occurs between the main sewer line and your house, you will be required to call a plumber to remove the blockage.