Water & Sewer

Water Main Breaks & Sewer Backups

Water main breaks require the water to be shut off.  In the instance that this occurs at night, residents will not be awakened to be informed that their water is off.  Please be aware that the Department of Public Works must wait for utility locates before digging, sometimes causing short delays in the repair process.  After the repair the water may be slightly cloudy, but it will clear after running for a short time.  A boil order may also be issued.  If you ever see a suspicious amount of water running, please call the Department of Public Works at 654-6823 or after hours the Police Department at 654-2131.

Sanitary sewer back-ups should be reported to the Department of Public Works to check the status of the sewer mains that are City maintained.  Crews will determine if the problem is a City responsibility or that of the homeowner.

How to Deal with a Sewer Back-up:

When a sewer back-up requires immediate action water & sewer department representatives are available to help resident determine the problem.  Below are a few tips to help you deal with a sewer back-up.

1.  Always call the Department of Public Works at 654-6823 prior to calling a plumber when you experience a sanitary sewer back-up, or when the problem seems to be caused from outside your home.  A Water & Sewer Department representative will be dispatched to check the main sanitary sewer line at no cost to you.

2.  If the blockage is located in the main sewer line, Department of Public Works will remedy the problem as quickly as possible.

3.  If the blockage occurs between the main sewer line and your house, you will be required to call a plumber to remove the blockage.

Staff Contacts

Name Title
Randy Rinderer Supervisor