Police Officer Testing
The Highland Board of Police and Fire Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer for the City of Highland.
ALL QUALIFYING APPLICANTS MUST:
- Have a minimum 60 credit hours in Administration of Justice or a similar field of study or an Associate’s Degree or 2 years active duty military or 180 days of service in a combat zone.
- Hold a full-time law enforcement officer certificate in the State of Illinois or become certified within 6 months of hire.
- Complete a written assessment on November 7, 2020 at 9am in the Highland High School Commons, 12760 Troxler Ave., Highland, IL 62249 and attain a minimum score of 80 percent.
- Have completed the Illinois full-time academy or if from out of state, that state’s equivalent of the Illinois full-time academy, and it must be transferrable.
- Have a minimum of 24 consecutive months of full-time law enforcement experience.
- Successful applicants will complete an oral board with the Board of Police and Fire Commissioners before being placed on the Highland Police Department eligibility list.
- Background investigations will be completed prior to the oral board. Lateral candidates not wishing for their current employer to be contacted will be required to perform 5 hours of ride-along time with a Highland Field Training Officer. Contact Sgt. Aric Steinbeck at 618-654-2131 to schedule.
- All candidates are encouraged to perform a ride-along with a Highland Officer in order to ask questions about the department and community.
- All candidates on the eligibility list, with the exception of lateral officers, will need to pass the POWER Test or display an active POWER Test card prior to a conditional offer of employment.
- Highland currently has an 18 mile residency requirement that must be met within 12 months of hire.
- Lateral officers will be paid current starting pay during their 12 month probation. Upon successful completion of probation, pay will be at the 3 year officer rate per the FOP collective bargaining agreement in effect at that time.
- Information and applications can be obtained in person at the Highland Police Department, 820 Mulberry St., Highland, IL 62249; by calling 618-654-2131 or by clicking the following links.
- Highland Police Department Testing Application, Release Form, and Veterans and Educational Preference.
ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE HIGHLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT BY THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2020